MINUTES
ORO VALLEY HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION
STUDY SESSION AND REGULAR SESSION
November 14, 2011
Hopi Conference Room
11000 N. La Canada Drive
 
STUDY SESSION AT OR AFTER 4:00 P.M.

CALL TO ORDER

Chair Zwiener called the meeting to order at 4:01 p.m.

ROLL CALL

PRESENT:
Daniel Zwiener, Chair
Lois Nagy, Vice Chair
Ellen Guyer, Member
Ed Hannon, Member
Sam McClung, Member
Valerie Pullara, Member

EXCUSED: Dean Strandskov, Member
 
ORO VALLEY HISTORICAL SOCIETY MEMBERS PRESENT:
Roxy Johnson
Marilyn Pincus
Bob Baughman
Joyce Rychener
Lyra Done
Jo Di Gennaro
Paul Loomis

STAFF PRESENT:
Ainsley Legner, Parks Recreation Library & Cultural Resources Director
Paul Keesler, Interim Development & Infrastructure Services Director
Lynanne Dellerman, Recreation Manager

Member Pullara arrived at 4:05 p.m.

1.

GRANT FROM TOHONO O’ODHAM NATION FOR HISTORIC GARDENS - DISCUSSION


Ms. Legner explained that Joyce Rychener worked with Multimodal Planner Nancy Ellis to put together a grant from the Tohono O’odham Nation for $22,000. It includes an educational component and supplies for the garden. The money can be spent at the existing garden and additional gardens may be added.

Discussion followed regarding:
~ The grant proposal was approved by the commission.
~ The educational component would touch on gardening in this region, analyzing/improving soil, heritage seeds, rainwater usage and pest reduction.
~ Vice Chair Nagy will serve as a society liaison to inform the Historic Preservation Commission about the progress. 
~ The group requested a copy of the grant. 
~ The public and the media should be more aware of the ranch. The media could tour the property. Invitees could include Congresswoman Giffords or Representative Vic Williams.
~ Continuing to apply for the grant could help establish Oro Valley as a place to preserve traditions of nations in our region. 
~ This may be an opportunity to pursue development at Steam Pump Ranch.
~ Vice Chair Nagy and Joyce Rychener plan to create a budget to be presented to the commission. Chair Zwiener will be involved in the process. 
~ Ms. Legner will check the budgeting to see if staff time is included.
~ The Town should advertise for a volunteer to work at the garden.
~ The theme of the project needs to be sustained and the seeds need to be preserved.

2.

DEDICATION PLAQUES AT STEAM PUMP RANCH - DISCUSSION


Roxy Johnson from the Oro Valley Historical Society stated that there are donated benches which need plaques to identify the donors. She showed a sample of a weatherproof plaque which would cost approximately $170. She suggested that these include logos and be uniform. She would charge for the bench and the plaque. Joyce Rychener added that the benches cost $400 and the plaque should be budgeted at $150.

Ms. Legner explained that the Town has a naming and branding policy. An updated document will go before the Town Council in January. If approved, the update will address plaques and other recognition on benches, trees, etc. 

Discussion followed regarding:
~ An abundance of plaques.
~ Vandalizing and wear and tear.
~ A donor wall could be created for recognition with copper leaves.
~ A disclaimer claiming no Town responsibility for maintenance.
~ Policies from other Parks and Recreation departments could be reviewed.
~ Different recommendation for historical parks verses regular parks.

3.

TOURS AT STEAM PUMP RANCH - DISCUSSION


Ms. Johnson stated that a recent tour request was cancelled due to no building access or restroom facilities.

Chair Zwiener asked the Oro Valley Historical Society about their involvement with the centennial celebration tours. Bob Baughman suggested that a subcommittee be created with members from the society and the commission to develop the tours at Steam Pump Ranch.

The Oro Valley Historical Society has provided a tour guide in the past but due to the increase in requests and limited volunteers, a process needs to be determined. A script should be written for additional tour guides.

The commission approved a liaison subcommittee to work with the society on this issue.

4.

LICENSE AGREEMENT AND ACCESS REQUIREMENTS TO STEAM PUMP RANCH - DISCUSSION


The license agreement between the Oro Valley Historical Society and the Town of Oro Valley pertains to Steam Pump Ranch and is renewable every three years.

Paul Loomis, Lois Nagy, Lynanne Dellerman and Ainsley Legner are members of a subcommittee working on the renewal and a rough draft is prepared. It includes the same criteria with extended discussions on facilities, storage, expansion of the garden capability and relocation of the historic garden. It has been proposed to extend the renewal to every five years.

5.

OFFICE SPACE AT STEAM PUMP RANCH - DISCUSSION


Chair Zwiener stated that he prefers the office space be at the Proctor Leiber residence because there is more space and less impact to the building. Ms. Johnson recommended an adjoining space also at the Proctor Leiber house.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

No announcements.

ADJOURNMENT

Chair Zwiener adjourned the meeting at 5:10 p.m. and called for a short recess.

REGULAR SESSION AT OR AFTER 5:00 P.M.

CALL TO ORDER

Chair Zwiener called the regular session to order at 5:20 p.m.

ROLL CALL

PRESENT:
Daniel Zwiener, Chair
Lois Nagy, Vice Chair
Ellen Guyer, Member
Ed Hannon, Member
Sam McClung, Member
Valerie Pullara, Member

EXCUSED: Dean Strandskov, Member
 
STAFF PRESENT:
Ainsley Legner, Parks Recreation Library & Cultural Resources Director
Paul Keesler, Interim Development & Infrastructure Services Director
Lynanne Dellerman, Recreation Manager

Commissioner Hannon exited at 6:25 p.m.

CALL TO THE AUDIENCE

No speakers.

1.

REVIEW AND/OR APPROVAL OF THE OCTOBER 3, 2011 REGULAR SESSION MINUTES


MOTION: A motion was made by Member Hannon and seconded by Member Pullara to approve the minutes as written.
 
MOTION carried, 6-0
 
2.

STEAM PUMP RANCH - DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION


Item B was discussed first.

B.

ORO VALLEY’S CELEBRATION OF THE ARIZONA CENTENNIAL


The commission discussed the following:
~ Plans are underway and the ranch house should be open for tours and to generate publicity.
~ Fundraiser events could be planned at Steam Pump Ranch or at a different location to raise funding for the ranch. 
~ Steam Pump Ranch is a capital asset and may be opened up for development.
~ Steam Pump Ranch will need to have changing events there to keep it interesting.
~ A local historic group could partner with the Town for fundraising purposes.
~ Artists in the community are interested in Steam Pump Ranch.
~ The Historic Preservation Commission can assist with fundraising. 
~ The celebration will include adobe block demonstrations and periodic food. 
~ Furniture display items in the house should include historically significant items.
 
The subcommittee will structure the tour and activities and have personnel present. Chair Zwiener appointed Vice Chair Nagy, Commissioner Guyer and Commissioner Hannon to the subcommittee. Recreation Manager Lynanne Dellerman will facilitate the meetings.

The group made the following points:
~The pump house should be discussed at the event.
~ A photograph of the pump house should be generated for the tour. 
~ Furniture could take away from the buildings.
~ Printed information and visual items such as photographs should be included.
~ There is no furniture in good condition owned by the Oro Valley Historical Society or the Town from Steam Pump Ranch.

C.

GARDENS


The commission will to review the grant to see the overall goals for the garden. The goals should be in line with the development intentions at Steam Pump Ranch. 

Ms. Legner explained that the grant is to support the garden and to provide education about the garden. 

Chair Zwiener made the following two points:
~ We must be careful about what we are investing in to sustain the project.
~ The outreach should specifically target the Tohono O’odham Nation. It is important from a budget and preservation standpoint to maintain the seeds. If there is a shortage of seeds, repurchasing seeds may not be a good idea because we should be preserving and sustaining instead of consuming.

Vice Chair Nagy, Joyce Rychener and Chair Zwiener will work on the budget and Lynanne Dellerman will facilitate the meetings.

A.

CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY


Interim director of Development & Infrastructure Services Paul Keesler discussed the progress on this item. The commission has received a list of items to be completed in order to receive the certificate of occupancy. The largest issue is the ADA compliant bathrooms. There is an architect contracted to do the first phase for an order of magnitude cost estimate. There have been three options determined:
   1) Remodel the north end of the Proctor Leiber house.
   2) Put bathrooms in the south bunk house. 
   3) Build a new restroom facility on the west end of the parcel for use at Steam Pump Ranch and the Linear Park.

The cost should be ready in two weeks. The building official is working with the fire marshal on the hydrant location. If the issue can not be completed before the centennial event, there is a temporary measure to meet the requirements.

The parking area may be stabilized ground with compacted DG. 

Commissioner McClung asked about the fire department putting in the hydrants. Mr. Keesler stated that he has not seen that done before but he will look into it.

Councilmember Solomon asked if funds left over for Steam Pump Ranch may be used towards the bathrooms. Ms. Legner stated that all funds remaining were swept back into the general fund to cover the shortfall last year. Finance Director Stacey Lemos is working to identify funding.

Chair Zwiener stated that alterations in historic architecture of the Procter Leiber building would generate tension from the state and possibly the federal government. 

Mr. Keesler offered to find out from the building official how many toilets are required and if unisex facilities will suffice. 

Vice Chair Nagy asked about the architect needing access to locations such as the bunk house because there are historical items which should be kept and evaluated. Mr. Keesler stated that the architect will need access to the areas immediately. Vice Chair Nagy offered to have the items removed if necessary. 

Chair Zwiener stated that the master plan shows that the north bunk house has more original structural features to be used for interpretation. The other bunk house does not have as much but the whole building was slated for restrooms so that should not interfere with the intent of the master plan. Mr. Keesler stated that the architect felt that it is best to leave the building alone and go in with structural studs and skin so the building is left in tact. 

Mr. Keesler recommended additional grading near the buildings to reduce potential water damage.

3.

UPDATE ON HISTORIC PRESERVATION INTERNSHIP - DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION


~ The job description and application are both on the website.
~ More publicity may be needed.
~ The Town has received one application.
~ Details about class requirements should be gathered from the students.
~ A couple of students could work together on projects.
~ Students are interested in field experience as well as meeting class requirements.

4.

SCHEDULING NEXT HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION MEETING DATE - DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION


The next meeting will be on December 5, 2011 at 5:00 p.m.

5.

FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS - DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION


~ Steam Pump Ranch
~ Preservation Plan 
~ Consultant List

ANNOUNCEMENTS

~ The Parks Recreation Library & Cultural Resources Department purchased an inflatable movie screen which will be used at the Centennial event. The department is looking into sponsors to run advertisements prior to movies.
~ Historically, in the 1900s, vehicles were called machines.
~ Rooms for the Historical Preservation Conference should be booked early.

ADJOURNMENT

MOTION: A motion was made by Member Guyer and seconded by Member Pullara to adjourn the meeting at 6:47 p.m.
 
MOTION carried, 5-0