ORO VALLEY HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION
September 10, 2012
11000 N La Canada Drive
CALL TO ORDER AT OR AFTER 5:00 P.M.
|Valerie Pullara, Chair |
Ellen Guyer, Vice Chair
Ed Hannon, Member
Susannah Myerson, Member
Dean Strandskov, Member
||Marilyn Lane, Member |
Lois Nagy, Member
Ainsley Legner, Parks Recreation Library & Cultural Resources Director
Brendan Burns, Town Council Member
Lynanne Dellerman, Recreation Manager
MOTION: A motion was made by Member Strandskov and seconded by Member Myerson to approve the June 4, 2012 minutes as written.
Recreation Manager Lynanne Dellerman reported that she received a call from an organization and they would like someone to speak to their group on November 10, 2012 in Casa Grande and in return they will provide a donation for Steam Pump Ranch. Chair Pullara, Commissioner Strandskov and a staff member will attend. There will be a prepared PowerPoint presentation.
Parks Recreation Library & Cultural Resources Director Ainsley Legner reported on the following:
~ The restroom will be put in place in the next three weeks.
~ The entry road, parking and wheel stops in the parking area have been placed as well as rocks to line the driveway.
~ The fire hydrant is in and is functioning properly.
~ The site will have a certificate of occupancy prior to the Fall Festival.
Ms. Legner stated that staff is waiting for cooler weather.
Ms. Dellerman showed a sample of the signage. Ms. Legner added that staff is looking towards obtaining signage as old fashioned gate entries into the ranch. Due to the high cost and issues, this sign will be used in the short term.
Ms. Dellerman discussed the entertainment at the event:
~ Musical groups/bands and dance performances
~ Horsemanship skills
~ Cowboy artist
~ Cirque du Soleil performer
~ Wine tasting and storyteller
~ Dinner with the Keg
~ Docent information
Tickets will be on the website. Some proceeds will go toward paying for the event. Commissioners may volunteer, if interested.
Chair Pullara asked that "docent program" be added to the next agenda.
Commissioner Strandskov offered to assist getting the information in the Sun City Tipster.
Chair Pullara stated that this plan has been reviewed by the commission and this evening the commissioners will be assigned to each piece.
1) Create Historic Preservation Plan - This is in progress and Chair Pullara, Commissioner Hannon and Commissioner Myerson are working on it.
2) Create Historic Register - This is to document all properties. Vice-Chair Guyer explained that this is an outgrowth of the Historic Preservation Plan so that has to be completed first.
3) Prepare Annual Report - Chair Pullara explained that this has to be done for a certified local government. Vice-Chair Guyer will work on this with staff.
4) Update Annual Work Plan - This will stay on the radar.
5) Following the Certificate of Occupancy, develop and interpretive plan for Steam Pump Ranch including appropriate signage - Vice-Chair Guyer suggested that docent volunteers would fit in here. Vice-Chair Guyer and Commissioner Myerson will work on this item.
6) SPR Pump House restoration - Ms. Legner advised to address this next spring.
9) Developing funding strategies - Commissioner Strandskov suggested that once a presentation is prepared, that it be shared with corporations in Oro Valley. Vice-Chair Guyer stated that this was intended for Item 7.
7) Plan for Community Outreach using cultural resource inventory, garden tours and events - This goes along with Items 8 and Item 9 and includes developing funding strategies and recording oral histories.
10) Review status of Steam Pump Ranch scanned documents to make them accessible to the public - Vice-Chair Guyer will work on this item with staff.
Ms. Legner stated that the subcommittee has met numerous times to get a format prepared. They discovered another jurisdiction with an existing plan and the group hopes to embed that format into their plan. A timeline has been created and the tentative date for completion is the end of the calendar year.
The next meeting is scheduled for October 1, 2012 in the Hopi room.
Ms. Legner announced the following:
~ There will be a community workshop on home energy efficiency improvements, solar and a new General Plan element.
~ The General Plan update will occur in the next couple of years and the commission will be involved in the process.
~ She has copies of the Honeybee Village archeological books available to borrow.
MOTION: A motion was made by Member Hannon and seconded by Member Myerson to adjourn the meeting at 5:57 p.m.
Senior Office Specialist