Chairman Cox called the meeting to order at 6:00 P.M.
PRESENT: Don Cox, Chairman
John Buette, Vice-Chairman
Bill Leedy, Commissioner
Bill Rodman, Commissioner
Tom Drazazgowski, Commissioner
Greg Hitt, Commissioner
Frank Pitts, Commissioner
Chairman Cox led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance.
There were no speaker requests.
Councilmember Hornat was not present for the meeting.
MOTION: A motion was made by Commissioner Leedy and seconded by Commissioner Rodman to approve the March 4, 2014 regular session meeting minutes
MOTION carried, 5-0. with Frank Pitts, Commissioner abstained.
David Williams, Planning Manager, gave a brief introduction
- Alice Templeton, Communication Consultant from Gordley Group
- Bruce For, Survey and Statistical Consultant from FMR
- Bayer Vella, Your Voice, Our Future Manager
- Elisa Hamblin, Senior Planner
Alice Templeton, Communication Consultant, Gorley Group, presented the following:
- Your Voice, Our Future Planning Oro Valley Together Brand
- 60 Community Events
- 886 Youth Participants
- 2,606 Post-it note Comment received
- Many Choices. Lots of Voices
- Yes, Your Voice Matters
6:11 Greg Hitt arrived at the meeting
- Community Events Series
- Pie Series
- Online Participation
- Media Coverage & Publicity
Bruce Fohr, Survey and Statistical Consultant from FMR
- Survey Methods which included phone (306 participants), Events (2,606 responses), Online (212 participants) & Paper (104 participants)
- Survey Participants
- Survey Results
Bayer Vella, Your Voice, Our Future Manager, presented the following:
- Where Are We Now? Let's talk, Lets think, Do It! Make it so
- Draft Vision & Guiding Principles, What are they? Why
- Oro Valley's Draft Vision
- Draft Guiding Principles
- What's Next (Phase 1 Wrap-Up) (Phase 2 Launch)
Chairman Cox asked for public comments
Bill Adler, Oro Valley resident, stated that even though we are tempted to try to individually interpret the survey results and public comments into direction for the General Plan it is not the time. Right now we need to trust the process and allow the committees that will be formed address the major issues. The public comments are helpful, but represent preferences, not directional ideas. Committees should endorse and transform the terms into ideas that will provide direction in developing the General Plan. Timing is everything. We need to wait for the right opportunity.
There are policies in the General Plan that are obsolete that need to be revised or deleted. There are policies that the ESL now covers that at the time of this General Plan development the ESL did not exist. There are many natural resources and land uses that can be consolidated into a policy that provide direction with regard to how the ESL is implemented or refined based upon what we have learned. In the Arts and Culture section, there is a reference to GOVAC but GOVAC no longer exists. These are committee specific so we need to either replace GOVAC with another committee or delegate the revisions of these sections to staff.
We need to trust the process and recognize that the citizens of
are conscientious and want to be heard. Sitting on the Dias is a responsibility, but those of us serving on a committee are eager to get going. Unfortunately, we have to be patient and wait for opportunities as many of these guiding principles are not committee specific. Transforming the vision statement will not be something that the environmental or development committee will participate in but it will affect us. Transforming something about small town community fit or well managed phraseology into something directional will affect all of us. We are not all going to agree, but we all need to work through our differences. Oro Valley
MOTION: A motion was made by Commissioner Leedy and seconded by Commissioner Rodman to Recomend Approval of the Your Voice, Our Future Vision and Guiding Principles as written in Exhibit A.
Chairman Cox offered a friendly amendment to include the following changes:
- Provide more parks, recreation and cultural opportunities for all ages, bullet 3 should read, "Arts"
- Create a complete community with a broad range of shopping, dining and places to gather, bullet 2 should read, "Provide more services near by"
Commissioner Leedy and Commissioner Rodman accepted Chairman Cox friendly amendment.
MOTION carried, 7-0.
Elisa Hamblin, Senior Planner, presented the following:
- Your Voice Committees (Environment, Community, Development)
- Purpose of your representation
- Please designate one representative and one alternate
MOTION: A motion was made by Chairman Cox and seconded by Vice-Chairman Buette to have Commissioner Leedy as volunteer and Commission Rodman as alternate appointments of the Planning and Zoning Commission Representative to the Your Voice, Our Future Development Committee.
MOTION carried, 7-0.
David Williams, Planning Manager, provided the following Planning Update:
- Kai Rezoning approved by Town Council on April 2nd
- Community Academy Spring Training Session
- Applications for Your Voice, Our Future are being accepted
- Upcoming Neighborhood Meetings
No future agenda items
MOTION: A motion was made by Commissioner Leedy and seconded by Commissioner Hitt to adjourn the Planning and Zoning Commission meeting at 7:19 P.M.
MOTION carried, 7-0.