ORO VALLEY HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION
November 3, 2014
HOPI CONFERENCE ROOM
11000 N. LA CANADA DRIVE
|Ellen Guyer, Chair |
Dean Strandskov, Vice-Chair
Ed Hannon, Commissioner
Marilyn Lane, Commissioner
Connie Trail, Commissioner
||Eric Thomae, Commissioner |
Also Present: Mike Zinkin, Town Council Liaison
Kristy Diaz-Trahan, Parks & Recreation Director
Lynanne Dellerman, Recreation Manager
MOTION: A motion was made by Vice-Chair Strandskov and seconded by Commissioner Hannon to approve the October 13, 2014 minutes as written.
Parks & Recreation Manager Kristy Diaz-Trahan reported on the following:
- Pump House protection project
- $10,000 facility assessment grant from the State Historic Preservation Office
- Steam Pump Ranch Subcommittee
- Fall Festival at Steam Pump Ranch
- Department holiday photo at West Lambert Lane Park
Ms. Diaz-Trahan explained the budget process for general fund requests and capital improvement projects. She added there are tentative place holders for the Proctor Lieber property in next fiscal year's budget for $280,000 and an additional $280,000 is tentatively held the following fiscal year. This fiscal year, there is funding for cultural resources marketing and promotional items.
The group listed funding needs at the pump, once the structure is installed:
- Educational signage
- A working model
- Walkway around
- Lights shining up to the roof
- Protective barrier around ruins
The commission discussed the following budget request ideas:
- Operational funds for educational outreach (speakers bureau, mailings, etc.)
- Operational money to hire consultants (for projects such as the cultural resources inventory)
- Discussion with Pima County to work cooperatively to improve Honey Bee Village.
- Proper storage for artifacts at the Steam Pump Ranch bunk house.
- A call to the public for donated furnishings and artifacts for the Pusch Ranch House.
Commissioner Lane said she communicated with Mesa and obtained their new historic fiction writing contest information. She suggested this be part of Amphitheatre School District's curriculum with two writing category options for the fourth graders. Ms. Diaz-Trahan advised the contest launch in February and the winner be announced in April/May.
The commission members suggested topics for the essays.
Commissioner Trail said Pat Spoerl and John Ravesloot will speak at the next meeting and their conversation will shed light on the incompleteness of the cultural resources inventory.
Chair Guyer said Your Voice, Our Future Environment Committee will have a future report.
Recreation Manager Lynanne Dellerman explained Pat Spoerl will discuss these places at the December meeting.
The majority of the commissioners indicated that they would like a tour in the future.
Ms. Dellerman distributed the updated Cultural and Historic Resources brochure.
Ms. Dellerman reviewed upcoming educational opportunities.
December Agenda Items:
- Presentation by Pat Spoerl, Ph.D. and John Ravesloot, Ph.D.
- Presentation by Oro Valley Historical Society President Warren Lazar
- Draft document from Your Voice, Our Future Environment Committee
January Agenda Items:
- Presentation by Pima County Administration Cultural Resources Manager Linda Mayro
February Agenda Items:
- Cultural resources website
Commissioner Hannon discussed identifying the mission of the Historic Preservation Commission.
MOTION: A motion was made by Commissioner Trail and seconded by Commissioner Hannon to adjourn the meeting at 6:18 p.m.
Senior Office Specialist
I hereby certify that the foregoing minutes are a true and correct copy of the minutes of the regular session of the Historic Preservation Commission of Oro Valley, Arizona held on the 3rd day of November, 2014. I further certify that the meeting was duly called and held and that a quorum was present.