ORO VALLEY PARKS & RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD
11000 N. La Canada Drive
ORO VALLEY, ARIZONA 85737
Thursday, February 12, 2015
Chair Wade called the meeting to order at 5:35 p.m.
|Adam Wade, Chair |
Joseph Winfield, Vice Chair
Thomas Carle, Member (arrived at 5:43 p.m.)
Sarah Corning, Member
Alison Sutton-Ryan, Member
||Sue Bishop, Member |
Staff Present: Mary Snider, Town Councilmember
Greg Caton, Town Manager
Kristy Diaz-Trahan, Parks & Recreation Director
Tobin Sidles, Director - Legal Services
MOTION: A motion was made by Vice Chair Winfield
and seconded by Member Sutton-Ryan to approve the January 20, 2015 regular session minutes as written.
MOTION carried, 4-0.
Parks and Recreation Director Kristy Diaz-Trahan provided an overview of the facility and property. She reviewed the draft fee schedule, explaining the membership would include access to the Oro Valley Aquatic Center. There will be two membership packages (classic and premium). The premium membership includes the same benefits as the classic membership plus food and beverage discounts, discount on goods, facility rentals and advanced tennis court reservations. The golf membership includes the premium membership, access to all 45 holes and a dedicated 18 holes.
Chair Wade shared comments on behalf of Sue Bishop:
- Age inconsistency needed for senior memberships
- Discount days and special incentives
Member Carle arrived at 5:43 p.m.
Ms. Diaz-Trahan explained fees are based on market rates and the rates at the Oro Valley Aquatic Center as well as partners, such as the YMCA.
Vice Chair Winfield said the fees proposed are higher than other communities. He reviewed annual costs for other recreation centers.
The Board Members and staff discussed the following:
- Higher costs and less popular amenities could lead to lower membership numbers
- A discrepancy in the drop-in rates between the Aquatic Center and Community & Recreation Center
- No plan for a punch card at the Community & Recreation Center
- Banquet and small conference room rentals
- Commerce/non-commerce fee classifications and
- More differentiation between commerce verses non-commerce pricing
Ms. Diaz-Trahan said the revenue generated from members, food and beverage and golf are based on the past year. There was $1M deficit which means there was a lot of revenue generated and a half-cent sales tax will help subsidize the difference and help pay for capital improvements.
Town Manager Greg Caton explained a lot of time was spent setting the rates for the Aquatic Center. Those membership rates were set higher. The Community & Recreation Center rates are set to be more accessible, to include three locations. He said the acquisition will be in early-mid March. The Town Council will review the fees and budget amendment at their March 4, 2015 meeting. The half-cent sales tax takes effect March 1, 2015, reporting will be in April and funds will be received in May.
The majority of the board agreed on the following changes to the fee schedule:
- Ages should be consistent across the board
- Senior age should be age 62 and higher
- Youth should be 17 years or under
- Adult age range should be 18-61 years old
- Golf daily and rack rates should both be 10 percent discount for Oro Valley residents
- Registration activation fee should be a $20 fee across the board and all encompassing
- Tennis court rental (events) fee should be $3 instead of $2.50
- Remove the commerce/non-commerce classification and replace it with resident/nonresident
MOTION: A motion was made by Member (arrived at 5:43 p.m.) Carle
and seconded by Member Sutton-Ryan to approved the proposed fees with the additions mentioned and noted.
MOTION carried, 4-1 with Vice Chair Winfield opposed.
Ms. Diaz-Trahan discussed upcoming Parks & Recreation events.
- Parking lot at trail head on Linda Vista
- Bicycling items
The board members agreed to the upcoming meeting date.
MOTION: A motion was made by Chair Wade
to adjourn the meeting at 7:15 p.m.
Senior Office Specialist
I hereby certify that the foregoing minutes are a true and correct copy of the minutes of the special session of the Parks & Recreation Advisory Board of Oro Valley, Arizona held on the 12th day of February, 2015. I further certify that the meeting was duly called and held and that a quorum was present.