ORO VALLEY HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION
March 6, 2017
HOPI CONFERENCE ROOM
11000 N. LA CANADA DRIVE
|Eric Thomae, Chair |
Walter Ohlson, Vice Chair
Dan Huff, Commissioner
Joseph Kane, Commissioner
Jenni Sunshine, Commissioner
||Alison Crane, Commissioner |
STAFF PRESENT: Kristy Diaz-Trahan, Parks & Recreation Director,
Lynanne Dellerman, Recreation & Cultural Resources Manager
GUESTS: Carol Ball nominee for Historical Society, Paul Loumis Oro Valley resident
CALL TO THE AUDIENCE – No speakers
Ms. Dellerman indicated that she had some additional educational opportunities that can be emailed to Commissioners.
MOTION: A motion was made by Commissioner Kane and seconded by Commissioner Huff to approve Consent Agenda
Ms. Carol Ball a member from the Oro Valley Historical Society was introduced. Mr. Paul Loumis announced that the Guest Speaker for the Oro Valley Historical Society meeting will be held at the Oro Valley Community Center.
Ms. Dellerman described changes on the draft that the Commissioners had previously discussed. She furthered her explanation by comparing the Town code with Pima County code.
MOTION: A motion was made by Chair Thomae and seconded by Vice Chair Ohlson to make the draft application of the Historic Landmark Designation form the final application
Commissioners discussed possible incentives for historic landmark designations which consisted of:
- waive the fees by making a recommendation to the Council
- refund the fees as agreed by the HPC
- feature the home as a landmark on Historic websites
- honor applicant with a social gathering
- submit any researched, unbiased incentives electronically to HPC office specialist
The Commissioners agreed to return to a future meeting with a discussion and possible action on the above mentioned incentives, along with incentives obtained from their own research
Chair Thomae described a meeting that took place at the Oro Valley Country Club where he met people that can offer a wealth of historic information about the Oro Valley Country Club.
MOTION: A motion was made by Chair Thomae and seconded by Commissioner Huff to have Chair Thomae and Vice Chair Ohlson start the Oral History Project of recording stories related to Oro Valley Estates
Ms. Dellerman reported on the success and interest of the adobe workshop. She informed the Commissioners of the budgeted item for repair of the cracks in Pusch House. She reminded the Commission that the pit house burning event has been rescheduled for April 30, 2017.
Ms. Diaz-Trahan reminded the Commission about parliamentary rules. As the Town representative for the bond committee with Pima County, she reported that the 1997 and 2004 projects are complete and the remaining funds will be amended for use at Honeybee Preserve in two phases. The early registration for the annual conference in June, ends March 17.
MOTION: A motion was made by Chair Thomae and seconded by Commissioner Sunshine to adjourn at 6:28 p.m..
Senior Office Specialist
I hereby certify that the foregoing minutes are a true and correct copy of the minutes of the special session of the Parks & Recreation Advisory Board of Oro Valley, Arizona held on the 6th day of March 2017. I further certify that the meeting was duly called and held and that a quorum was present.
- work on recommendations for code changes for historic landmarks
- develop strategy to work with Planning and Zoning department to ensure HPC concerns are included in our meetings
- research new concepts for incentives for historic landmark designations
- discuss unfinished work at SPR from first phase
- discuss and possible action of storage and clean up of items at SPR that need attention
- identify which phase of the Master Plan, SPR is involved
- discuss putting up "work in progress" signs on sites relevant to historic sites