ORO VALLEY WATER UTILITY COMMISSION
Monday, May 8, 2017
HOPI CONFERENCE ROOM
11000 N. LA CAÑADA DRIVE
Chair Campbell called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
|Anne Campbell, Chair |
Robert Milkey, Vice Chair
Bill Leedy, Commissioner
Byron McMillan, Commissioner
Winston Tustison, Commissioner
||Chuck Hollingsworth, Commissioner |
Thomas Kibler, Commissioner
STAFF PRESENT: Peter Abraham, P.E., Interim Water Utility Director
Shirley Kiel, Utility Administrator
Karn Boyce, Water Conservation Specialist
MOTION: A motion was made by Commissioner Leedy and seconded by Vice Chair Milkey to approve the minutes as written.
MOTION carried, 5-0.
Mr. Abraham reviewed the following:
- Colorado River upper and lower basin states
- Lower basin state entitlements
- Acre feet allocation per lower Colorado River Basin state
- Current Colorado River shortage guidelines and shortage impacts
- Proposed Colorado River Basin Drought Contingency Plan components
- Proposed reductions for each lower basin state, United States Bureau of Reclamation and Mexico
- Potential impacts of the proposed Lower Colorado River Drought Contingency Plan
- Oro Valley Water Utility's actions to secure future water resources
Karn Boyce presented the following:
- Town water policies and Town Code Section 15-18
- Incentives and equipment provided
- Outreach and education efforts
- AquaHawk leak alerts, notifications and water savings
- Benefits of AMI/smart meter technology
Ms. Kiel presented Item 4 and outlined the following:
- Changes are driven by regional efforts for water conservation and efficiency, to support the General Plan, minimize water waste and reorganize the water conservation section
- Addition of definitions
- Definition of "wasting water" and examples provided
- Reorganize the code and categorize types of violations by penalty imposed
Mr. Abraham reviewed the current processes pertaining to packet materials and reporting and invited feedback from the Commission.
The Commission provided feedback to staff on their preferences regarding packet materials and reporting processes.
Councilmember Piña reported on the following:
- Town manger recruitment process
- Town Council budget study session
- Special bond election for Naranja Park improvements
- Consultant obtaining public input for recommendation on Community Center golf options
Commissioner Tustison reported the Finance Subcommittee will begin meeting in July to review the financial aspects of the Northwest Recharge, Recovery and Delivery System project.
Colorado River Water Supply Report
Mr. Abraham presented Item 8a and outlined the following:
- Lake Powell is the water storage facility for the Upper Basin states
- Lake Mead is the water storage facility for the Lower Basin states
- Arizona's CAP deliveries are released from Lake Mead
- Current Lake Mead level is at 40% capacity
- Bureau of Reclamation 2018 and 2019 estimates for tier 1 shortages
- Bureau of Reclamation year-end projections for 2017
05/17/17: Town Council meeting
06/12/17: Water Utility Commission meeting
MOTION: A motion was made by Commissioner Leedy and seconded by Commissioner Tustison to adjourn the meeting at 7:37 p.m.
MOTION carried, 5-0.
Senior Office Specialist
I hereby certify that the foregoing minutes are a true and correct copy of the minutes of the regular session of the Water Utility Commission of Oro Valley, Arizona held on the 8th day of May, 2017. I further certify that the meeting was duly called and held and that a quorum was present.