ORO VALLEY PLANNING AND ZONING COMMISSION
August 1, 2017
ORO VALLEY COUNCIL CHAMBERS
11000 N. LA CAÑADA DRIVE
STUDY SESSION AT OR AFTER 6:00 P.M.
Chair Hurt called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
|Charlie Hurt, Chair |
Melanie Barrett, Vice Chair
Tom Drzazgowski, Commissioner
Bob Swope, Commissioner
Thomas Gribb, Commissioner
Greg Hitt, Commissioner
Don Cox, Commissioner
Bayer Vella, Planning Manager
Joe Andrews, Chief Civil Deputy Attorney
Bill Rodman, Councilmember
Chair Hurt led everyone in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Councilmember Rodman did not have any comments.
STUDY SESSION AGENDA
Bayer Vella, Planning Manager, gave a presentation that included the following:
- Overview of conceptual design review functions: conceptual design review, sign criteria, master sign programs, PAD exemptions, grading exceptions, alternative parking ratios and communication facilities
- Types of review: (1) Discretionary (GPA, rezoning, conditional use permits, master sign programs, sign PAD exemptions, grading exceptions, alternative parking ratios) and (2) Quasi-discretionary (site plans, landscape plans, architecture, public art, sign criteria, communication facilities)
- Design Review Process
- Design Principles - big, broad statements with latitude
- Design Standards - more specific, certain requirements
- Conceptual Site Plan Process
- Conceptual Site and Landscape Plans
- Conceptual Architecture Process
- Conceptual Architecture
- Commercial Architecture
- Residential Architecture
- Colors & Materials
- Conceptual Public Art Process
- Conceptual Public Art
- Signs Process including permits, criteria & master sign program and PAD exemptions
- Process for Communication Facilities
- Process for Other Applications
Mr. Vella also stressed several times throughout the presentation that conceptual design review items will not come before the Commission if they do not meet code requirements.
The Commission asked several questions during the presentation which were addressed by Mr. Vella and Mr. Andrews.
**NOTE: Recording of meeting stopped at minute 46:23 due to technical difficulties**
Mr. Vella reported on the following:
- Council considering eliminating term limits for boards and commissions
- New state law that affects zoning protests
- Upcoming neighborhood meetings
- Upcoming CDRB and PZC meetings
- October 3rd Planning and Zoning Commission meeting will be offsite at Icagen, Inc.
- November's Planning and Zoning Commission meeting was moved from the 7th to the 8th
Chair Hurt adjourned the meeting at 6:59 p.m.
Senior Office Specialist
I hereby certify that the foregoing minutes are a true and correct copy of the Planning and Zoning Commission study session meeting of Oro Valley, Arizona held on the 1st day of August, 2017. I further certify that the meeting was duly called and held and that a quorum was present.