ORO VALLEY HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION
December 4, 2017
HOPI CONFERENCE ROOM
11000 N. LA CANADA DRIVE
REGULAR SESSION AT OR AFTER 5:00 P.M.
|Eric Thomae, Chair |
Walt Ohlson, Vice Chair
Joseph Kane, Commissioner
Jenni Sunshine, Commissioner
||Dan Huff, Commissioner |
Dan Karlsberg, Commissioner
STAFF PRESENT: Lynanne Dellerman, Recreation & Cultural Resources Manager,
Tobin Sidles, Town Attorney
Educational opportunities for Historic Preservation Commission members to attend
MOTION: A motion was made by Commissioner Thomae and seconded by Vice Chair Ohlson to approve the November 6, 2017 minutes as written
Commissioner Karlsberg's absence was excused.
Peg O'Connell, a member of the Oro Valley Historical Society spoke about a fundraising event that supports Steam Pump Ranch and the restoration of some of its buildings. The event is March 12, 2018 at Z Mansion in downtown Tucson and is a self guided tour with information, a silent auction, wine and food. The cost is $50 per person and limited to 200 people. Tickets are available through the Historical Society website or the booth at Steam Pump Ranch. Ms. O'Connell provided a handout with more information. Lynanne Dellerman offered that the Town partnered with the event and will be providing a motor coach ride from the Community Center to Z Mansion for a $20 fee.
Mr. Jim Williams the Historical Society president, reminded the Commission of the upcoming re-enactment event, Tucson suffragette from the 1900's. It will be held at the library.
Lynanne Dellerman explained that she took the write up about the 2.5 Square Mile Oral History project to two U of A professors. They were pleased and indicated they believe they can get a student to take the project.
Ms. Dellerman explained that in her meeting with the U of A professors, they expressed interest in helping get the Oro Valley local registry project off the ground. It is dependent on the certification program handled by the professor. Chair Thomae and Vice Chair Ohlson agreed to help U of A faculty with information as needed.
Chair Thomae explained that this is a brainstorming opportunity to offer ideas for budget. Ms. Dellerman described that budget process and informed the Commission that with a new Town Manager the process and timeline may change. Commissioners offered their suggestions.
- include last year's budget for review
- maintain SPR historic sign project
- pay for speakers to offer presentations
- hire a half time preservation planner or officer to assist Cultural Resources
- review of fire suppression and security of the Pusch house
Vice Chair Ohlson:
- include the bronze signage project
- consider funding for a full park atmosphere that would lead to increased use, potential sponsors and donors
- investigate the use of the Proctor Leiber house as a means to earn money
- fund the landscape proposal that had been presented earlier in the year
- ensure the Town has enough budgeted money to maintain the property and prevent further deterioration
- increase the window signage
Ms. Dellerman provided pictures of the window signage and offered clarification. Chair Thomae requested signage on each bunk house, the BBQ, the stables and the well, because they are resources that contribute to qualification of the property on the national register. The idea of offering a QR code on the signage was suggested.
Ms. Dellerman informed the Commission on projects that are still in process.
- Adobe workshop and work on the chicken coops
- Pusch House crack repair
Ms. Dellerman reported the following:
- Tohono Chul Park holiday lights event
- Council member Steve Solomon finalized the donation and dedication to the Town of the common area(s) associated with Honey Bee Village Archaeological Preserve
- Commissioner Sunshine contacted Michael Fassett as discussed last month
- Email inviting former HPC members to consider returning
- Conference and “Go fund me” for historic preservation
Chair Thomae presented a gift to Chair Sunshine and thanked her for her service and knowledge.
- legal ramifications of signage
- current Rules and Regulations and possible Code Changes
- budget items with link to last year's requests
- request Park staff annually review SPR for maintenance issues
- discuss process for hiring a part time preservation planner
MOTION: A motion was made by Commissioner Sunshine and seconded by Commissioner Thomae to adjourn 6:50 p.m.