ORO VALLEY WATER UTILITY COMMISSION
Monday, June 11, 2018
HOPI CONFERENCE ROOM
11000 N. LA CAÑADA DRIVE
|Anne Campbell, Chair |
Robert Milkey, Vice Chair
Chuck Hollingsworth, Commissioner
Thomas Kibler, Commissioner
Bill Leedy, Commissioner
Byron McMillan, Commissioner
||Winston Tustison, Commissioner |
(Commissioner Leedy abstained.)
Peter Abraham, P.E., Water Utility Director
Shirley Kiel, Utility Administrator
Lee Jacobs, Engineering Division Manager
MOTION: A motion was made by Commissioner Hollingsworth and seconded by Commissioner Kibler to approve the May 14, 2018 minutes as written.
MOTION carried, 5-0.
Mr. Abraham presented the existing system improvement projects being bonded for fiscal year 18/19 through fiscal year 20/21. These projects include wells, boosters, mains, structure and wall improvements. Additionally, he pointed out the projects that are planned to be operationally funded.
Mr. Abraham reviewed the key objectives of the 10-Year Water Resource Plan including:
- Limit groundwater pumping to eliminate annual well water declines
- Contract to purchase full CAP allotment, increase Long Term Storage Credits (LTSC)
- Explore opportunities in emerging water markets
- Explore ways to utilize future reclaimed entitlements
Mr. Abraham explained the following components of the 10-Year Water Resource Plan:
- 2018-2023 - operate recovered CAP wheeling system at full capacity
- 2024-2028 - balance between wheeling recovered CAP water through the Tucson System and delivery recovered CAP water with the Northwest Recharge and Recovery Delivery System to achieve the goal of eliminating annual well level declines.
- Deliver CAP water in sufficient quantity to CAVSARP and SAVSARP to support terms of the wheeling agreement with Tucson Water
- Deliver CAP in sufficient quantity to Kai Farms to support replacing the groundwater pumped from Oro Valley recovery wells and to take advantage of the benefits of storing water in a Groundwater Savings Facility
- Deliver remaining CAP to Lower Santa Cruz to support future recovery and to build up LTSC
- Continue utilization of reclaimed water for irrigation
- Support efforts for future direct potable reuse of effluent
Mr. Abraham reviewed the following plan goals:
- Eight years of storage capacity in Lower Santa Cruz
- Four years of storage capacity in CAVSARP/SAVSARP
- Four years of groundwater replacement capacity
Mr. Abraham presented the following 10-Year CAP Wheeling/Delivery Plan key objectives:
- Limit groundwater production to 5,000 acre feet per year or less
- Plan for additional recovered CAP water
- Blend recovered CAP water with existing groundwater to improve water quality
- Implement a phased and prioritized wheeling/delivery plan
- Balance CAP wheeling, CAP deliveries and groundwater pumping
Mr. Abraham discussed the Utility's historic amounts and future projections for production of groundwater, CAP and potable water. He reviewed the CAP Wheeling Plan for 2019-2023 and the CAP Wheeling/Delivery Plan for 2024-2028 and compared the two.
Councilmember Piña reported the Town Council finished the public hearings and budget study sessions and the Town Council approved the 18/19 final budget.
Mr. Abraham reviewed the upcoming meetings.
Mr. Abraham reported on the following:
- Town Council approved Oro Valley Water Utility recommended rate increase
- Town Council approved the 18/19 final budget
- City of Tucson approved water rate increases for the next two years
Mr. Abraham presented a regional map illustrating the current Colorado snow water equivalent. He reviewed the 2015-2018 upper Colorado basin snowpack.
MOTION: A motion was made by Commissioner Leedy and seconded by Commissioner Hollingsworth to adjourn the meeting at 7:12 p.m.
MOTION carried, 6-0.
Senior Office Specialist
I hereby certify that the foregoing minutes are a true and correct copy of the minutes of the regular session of the Water Utility Commission of Oro Valley, Arizona held on the 11th day of June, 2018. I further certify that the meeting was duly called and held and that a quorum was present.