ORO VALLEY STORMWATER UTILITY COMMISSION
Work Study Session
Monday, October 22, 2018
Hopi Conference Room
11000 N. La Canada Drive
Chair Wayand called the meeting to order at 4:06 p.m.
|Frederick Wayand, Chair |
Michael DeSantis, Vice Chair
David Parker, Commissioner
Richard Hawkinson, Commissioner
||Joan Brown, Commissioner |
Discussion ensued between the Stormwater Utility Commission (SWUC), Stormwater Utility (SWU) Staff and Public Works Director Town/Engineer Paul Keesler. Mr. Keesler gave an overview of the Strategic Plan, which is a 2 year segment of the 10 year General Plan. There will be 5 Strategic Plans through the life of the General Plan in which we will take parts of the General Plan, the ‘to do’ things, and get those accomplished. Mr. Keesler suggested that the ideas that do not make the list for the Strategic Plan can be part of a 2 year SWU Work Plan. Topics discussed were as follows:
1. Process for Town acceptance for taking on the maintenance responsibility for new or private washes. SWUC recommendation on the decision before it goes to Town Council. Build guidelines, come up with a process for the acceptance of washes through the SWUC.
2. Discussion of policy of SWU function regarding groundwater recharge. Come up with a process or method to address recharge.
3. Life safety dealing with hot spots or low water crossings in roads and washes. SWUC recommendations at policy level of prioritization of hot spots, future planning, improving upgrading drainage infrastructure.
4. Plan to handle and manage a two year storm. Upgrading and improving infrastructure. Develop policy and program for defining maintenance plan and cost estimate.
5. Step process for being predictive vs reactive. Looking at new technology and best practices of other municipalities.
6. Revisit community access to the Vegetation Management Plan. Possibly publishing the manual on the SWU website.
7. Coming up with a policy and a process to weave into the CC&R's (Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions) for maintenance of washes, and to integrate wash maintenance into Subdivision Development Review and Approval. Research is needed to know State regulations regarding HOA's.
8. Review quality initiatives of what the SWU is doing.
9. Revisit and update the Drainage Criteria Manual.
10. Update the 2008 Town wide study of the Drainage Master Plan (Kimley Horn) so it is consistent with engineering methods used by the Pima County Regional Flood Control District.
MOTION: A motion was made by Vice Chair DeSantis and seconded by Commissioner Parker adjourn the meeting at 5:16 p.m.
Motion carried, 4-0.