ORO VALLEY HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION
May 14, 2008
ORO VALLEY COUNCIL CHAMBERS
11000 N. LA CANADA DRIVE
Chair Bob Baughman
Commissioner Marilyn Cook
Commissioner Lois Nagy
Commissioner Daniel Zwiener
Excused: Commissioner Pat Spoerl
Pamela Pelletier, Planner
Lexa Mack, Civil Attorney
Commissioner Zwiener asked if there should have been something in the minutes on Item VI to reflect that there was some action to forward information to the council.
Chair Baughman suggested since there was no motion last meeting forwarding information to the council, that the current minutes should note the Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) discussion on the preservation easement for Steam Pump Ranch resulted in positive changes that benefited the Town.
MOTION: Commissioner Nagy MOVED to approve the Historic Preservation Commission April 14, 2008, meeting minutes as written. Commissioner Zwiener seconded the motion. Motion carried 4:0.
Vice Chair Salette Latas has resigned effective May 12, and the Vice Chair vacancy needs to be filled for the two months, and until her position is filled.
Commissioner Nagy nominated Commissioner Zwiener to fill the Vice Chair position. There being no other nominees, Chair Baughman asked for a motion of acclamation.
MOTION: Commissioner Nagy MOVED to elect Commissioner Zwiener by acclamation. Commissioner Cook seconded the motion. Motion carried 4:0.
Chair Baughman asked for a motion to table this item until Commission Spoerl is in attendance as she has been involved in the Oro Valley Historical Society since founded.
MOTION: Commissioner Zwiener MOVED to table item VI until the next HPC meeting. Commissioner Cook seconded the motion. Motion carried 4:0.
The Planning and Zoning Director would like the HPC to nominate a commissioner to attend this conference in place of staff. Registration and hotel costs will be paid for.
Commissioner Zwiener volunteered to go to the conference.
MOTION: Commissioner Nagy MOVED to authorize Commissioner Zwiener to attend the Historic Preservation Conference in Rio rico June 12 - 14, 2008. Commissioner Cook seconded the motion. Motion carried 4:0.
Mrs. Pelletier gave a a brief descripti8on of the Arizona State Parks Historic Preservation heritage Fund 2008 Draft Grant Application. The State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) has been consulted and they support the concept for the Pusch ranch house.
Chair Baughman stated for the record that SHPO did participate in the Steam Pump Ranch Task Force.
The Commissioners reviewed the Draft Grant Application and suggested corrections.
MOTION: Commissioner Zwiener MOVED to approve the grant application; to draft a letter from the Commission to the Town Council recommending approval of the grant application; to draft a letter from the commission to the Arizona State Parks Historic Preservation Heritage Fund for inclusion in the grant proposal, recommending that the Fund approve the grant application, and to authorize the Chair to approve each letter. Commissioner Cook seconded the motion. Motion carried 4:0.
Mr. Nelson said there is no role for the HPC as a whole for the short term. Commissioners Zwiener and Spoerl’s expertise will be needed to go through what is left, after the Lieber’s have moved their possessions, to decide what has historic significance. Those items identified can be stored in the barn. There may be a definite long term role for the HPC.
Chair Baughman said he would like to continue this discussion including a long term role as a future agenda item.
MOTION: Commissioner Zwiener MOVED to continue item 9, the long term role of HPC at Steam Pump Ranch, and items 10 and 11. Commissioner Cook seconded the motion. Motion carried 4:0.
Cultural Resource Inventory Plan
Process Plan for Historic Designation
National Alliance of Historic Commissions
Santa Cruz Heritage Alliance
- May 23 is Mrs. Pelletier's last day with the Town. Scott Nelson will be taking on the staff role as the Planning and Zoning liaison to the HPC. Staff role will be different.
- Mr. Nelson volunteered for this role as liaison to help the team. He stated that he will not be able to give the amount of staff support that Mrs. Pelletier has given over the past year. Council has indicated they want to make the department whole. Once the budget is passed, additional positions will be filled and another staff person may take over this role.
- Legal staff will not be attending future meetings unless their presence has been requested by the Planning and Zoning Director, by order of the Town Attorney.
- A Transportation Enhancement grant proposal is being worked on and will go to Council as a resolution on June 4. It will be emailed to the commissioners for review and commentary by the end of the week.
- A photo, of the bac of the Lieber house, dated June 26, 1940, was shown. The Lieber's are setting items aside fo the Town.
- The Lieber's physically vacated Steam Pump Ranch on April 23, 2008. The Police Department and a Task Force designed a security plan consisting of night and daytime patrol. Motion detector lights will be replaced with photo cell lights, that will be on dusk to dawn. Once the Lieber house is cleaned, the police will be able to do paperwork there at night. The bike patrol, when organized, will operate out of the house.
- Interviews for HPC vacancies will be May 19, at 2:00 p.m. Interviewers are Mrs. Pelletier, Chair Baughman, the Council liaison and Scott Nelson.
- Mr. Nelson reported on the budget session from May 3. Currently there is $40,000 to $50,000 in the budget for the survey.
- Chair Baughman expressed thanks to Mrs. Pelletier for her efforts in progressing the Commission to their current position.
Items for future agendas.
No new items were added.
MOTION: Commissioner Zwiener MOVED to adjourn the HPC meeting. Commissioner Cook seconded the motion. Motion carried 4:0
Meeting adjourned at 5:55 p.m.