ORO VALLEY HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION
January 11, 2010
ORO VALLEY COUNCIL CHAMBERS
11000 N. LA CANADA DRIVE
CALL TO ORDER AT OR AFTER 5:00 P.M.
Chairman Zwiener called the meeting to order at 5:02 p.m.
|Daniel Zwiener, Chairman |
Lois Nagy, Vice-Chair
Bob Baughman, Commissioner
Ed Hannon, Commissioner
Sam McClung, Commissioner
Valerie Pullara, Commissioner
Opened and closed without comment.
Review and/or approval of the December 14, 2009, HPC minutes.
Mr. Baughman requested a unanimous consent from the Commission to change Mr. Ravesloot to Dr. Ravesloot in the minutes for December 14, 2009. No objections were made.
MOTION: A motion was made by Commissioner Baughman and seconded by Vice-Chair Nagy to approve the December 14, 2009, HPC meeting minutes as amended.
Discussion and possible action regarding scheduling of Special Session to review the Final Draft of the Cultural Resources Inventory.
Chairman Zwiener announced that the HPC Special Session would be Monday, January 25, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers, and to review and note any changes to the final draft prior to the Special Session.
Discussion of draft ordinance sections in relation to the Environmentally Sensitive Lands Project.
David Williams, of David Williams & Associates, reviewed the following:
- Existing code incorporated into new draft specific to cultural resources
- Process and criteria evaluating cultural resources
- New Section 21.9 describing duties and responsibilities
- Cultural Resources Table of Contents draft
- Cultural Resources insertion draft
- Zoning code sections
- Correction recommendations
- Standard Operating Procedure draft for staff
- Town duties
Council Member Spoerl, addressed the following:
- Decisions in determining significance for Cultural Resources needs to be made by someone who meets the Secretary of State interior standards and not Town Staff.
- Only recommendations can be made by Staff, because it could restrict funding.
- Wording on page 6; item 7b, needs to be placed for all these elements.
Mr. Williams presented and reviewed the Cultural Resources Review Process.
Discussion: HPC involvement before any submission goes to SHPO.
Bayer Vella, OV Conservation and Sustainability Manager, said an approved inventory would be presented at a later date and staff’s decision would come from the archaeologist’s work, SHPO’s advice, consulting archaeologist if needed, the inventory and the criteria within the code.
Mr. Williams stated there would be revisions made to the flow chart.
Commissioner Baughman requested revisions be made prior to the January 25th Special Session, if possible.
Discussion and possible action regarding Steam Pump Ranch:
Scott Nelson, OV Special Projects Coordinator, stated that Poster-Frost would update the Commission.
Update from Poster-Frost.
Corkey Poster, of Poster, Frost & Merto, presented the following:
- Phase I implementation
- Accumulated resources for construction is $700,000
- Selective investigation and demolition of SPR
Drew Gorsky, of Poster, Frost & Merto, presented the following:
- Documentation phase
- Selective removal of Pusch house
- Evolution of the site
- Restoration and preservation
- Photo display
- Work Plan on pump house
Membership and Duties of Steam Pump Ranch Project Group.
Chairman Zwiener placed this item on the January 25, 2010, Special Session Agenda.
Update on training opportunities.
SPR training session with SHPO.
Mr. Nelson corrected agenda item 5A to read CLG, not SPR, and said training would be on January 26, 2010, in the Hopi Room from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
2010 Arizona Statewide Historic Preservation Partnership Conference.
Mr. Nelson presented a handout regarding upcoming training sessions.
Discussion regarding future agenda items.
Items of interest:
- Update on Honeybee Village
- Plans for the McAdam’s house
- Discussion about training
There were no announcements.
MOTION: A motion was made by Commissioner Baughman and seconded by Vice-Chair Nagy to adjourn the HPC meeting at 7:10 p.m.